The adventure – circumnavigation of the globe
By participating in Galathea3 GQ you get the opportunity of experiencing an exciting virtual worldwide voyage of discovery where you can websail around the world in the wake of the "Vædderen".
GalatheaQuest (GQ) is an ICT-based educational project like the well-known ThinkQuest competition.
What is the aim of the GalatheaQuest competition?
In connection with the GQ competition you are expected to create web material of educational value relating to the four categories of the Galathea3 expedition. If you are planning to work with the Galathea expedition in your class it is an obvious idea to participate in GQ. In brief, you are expected to create websites that should be educational and at the same time fun to use. You are expected to produce and present content suitable for an educational context and a specific target group. You can choose themes such as information about history, culture, voyages of discovery, adventures and research on land, at sea and in the air.
Get an overview of what is happening
The Danish Ministry of Education has four representatives on the expedition with whom Galathea3.emu.dk has constant contact. Their task is to follow the work of the researchers on board the ship and to disseminate experiences and information to teachers and students. This is done via video, satellite pictures, weblogs and dialogue fora. Og det sker gennem video, satellitbilleder, weblogs og dialogfora.
The web pages will be assessed with regard to content as well as design and technique.
Why is it exciting to participate?
- it is highly topical. This is something which is happening here and now - not in four years' time
- It is going to be in the focus of the media
- It provides an opportunity to work with absolutely unique content in many different ways
- It is a good story about the unknown
- It is a modern voyage of discovery
- It gives you an opportunity to follow the researchers' work closely
- It contributes towards making it exciting and attractive to be a researcher (quotation from Galathea3.dk)
- It contributes towards giving natural science education a "narrative/personified/concrete" touch because of the many good stories and themes
- Find educational material regarding the different subjects on EMU, the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten and the Danish Expedition Foundation.